PLEASANT GREEN, TX
PLEASANT GREEN, TEXAS. Pleasant Green is a rural community on Farm Road 349 one mile west of Gregg County Airport in southeastern Gregg County. It was established after the Civil War by emancipated slaves. The Pleasant Green Baptist Church, founded in 1871, served as the focal point of the community. In 1909 a larger frame building replaced the original church. After World War II the town declined, and in the early 1990s only the church and scattered dwellings remained at the site. Descendents of the original settlers still lived in the area. No population estimates were available.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PLEASANT GREEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpld), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.