PINE GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
PINE GROVE, TEXAS (Panola County). Pine Grove, a rural community twelve miles west of Carthage off Farm Road 1251 in western Panola County, was first settled after the Civil War. A school began operating in the 1890s, and in 1897 it had twenty-nine students. In the mid-1930s Pine Grove had a sawmill and a number of houses. After World War II the sawmill closed, and in the mid-1990s only a church and a few scattered dwellings still remained in the area. No population estimates were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PINE GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpgy), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles