PARKER'S BLUFF, TX
PARKER'S BLUFF, TEXAS. Parker's Bluff was a riverport on the Anderson County side of the Trinity River ten miles southwest of Palestine, near the mouth of Town Creek. The community, probably named for Daniel Parker, who owned one of the original land grants on which the port was located, was founded in the 1840s when a road was ordered to be built from Palestine to the site. The port served nearby Magnolia as a shipping point for cotton. Fitzhugh Ward, another land grantee, was the main property holder in Parker's Bluff. The community had a post office from 1870 to 1872 and at its peak had a blacksmith shop, a store, and a dance hall. Parker's Bluff seems to have declined around 1900, after Magnolia was bypassed by the railroad, and was not listed on state highway maps of the 1930s.
Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936). Palestine Herald Press, Trinity River Historical Edition, November 18, 1968.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "PARKER'S BLUFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp96), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.