PLEASANT GROVE, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)
PLEASANT GROVE, TEXAS (Bastrop County). Pleasant Grove, four miles northeast of Elgin in northern Bastrop County, had been established as a community by 1879, when the black Mount Moriah Baptist Church was founded by minister William Pendergrass and his nine-member congregation, which met in a brush arbor. Ten years later a church building was erected beside Westbrook Cemetery. In 1893 Pleasant Grove Presbyterians made up part of the Elgin Presbyterian Circuit. But the community never grew enough to establish a post office or, apparently, to have population figures kept. In 1933 Pleasant Grove had two small schools, one for black children, one for white. In the mid-1980s only the church and cemetery marked the site.
William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "PLEASANT GROVE, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp74), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.