PICKETT, TEXAS. Pickett (Picket), a rural community five miles south of Corsicana on Farm Road 709 in south central Navarro County, was probably established before 1900. By 1906 a school had an enrollment of forty-six. In the mid-1930s Pickett had two stores, a church, and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was seventy-five. After World War II the stores closed, and the school was consolidated with Corsicana schools. By the mid-1960s only a church and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Pickett was a dispersed rural community and no population estimates were available. By 2000 the population was listed as thirty.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PICKETT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp32), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.