PARITA, TEXAS. Parita is near the junction of Loop 1604 and Farm Road 3468, fifteen miles southeast of downtown San Antonio in eastern Bexar County. The settlement is named for nearby Parita Creek. The community flourished briefly after 1900 with the development of the Cooksey oil and gas field two miles northeast. During the 1940s the Campbell school and church served the community. Two businesses and a population of twenty-five were reported at Parita in 1930 and 1940. The businesses closed after World War II, and in the early 1990s Parita was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PARITA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp03), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles