PALO ALTO, TX
PALO ALTO, TEXAS. Palo Alto is four miles southwest of Driscoll on a paved but unnumbered road in southwestern Nueces County. It was named for an 1834 grant to Matias Garcia. During the 1870s Palo Alto had a general store owned by the Meuly brothers. The settlement's first available population figure was for 1936, when five residents were reported there. By 1945 the town had a population of fifty and three businesses. This figure held until 1965 and then began to decline; by 1990 only fifteen residents remained at the community. At that time Palo Alto was on a mail route from Bishop. The population remained the same in 2000.
Nueces County Historical Society, History of Nueces County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen S. Parrish, "PALO ALTO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp01), accessed April 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.