OVERLAND, TEXAS. Overland, a rural community in western Hopkins County nine miles west of Sulphur Springs on Farm Road 2653, was settled by the early 1900s, when a public school was operating nearby. In 1905 the school had an enrollment of sixty-one students. In the mid-1930s Overland had a school, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II most of the residents moved away. The school was consolidated with the Cumby School District, and the store closed. By the early 1960s only a few widely scattered houses remained. No population estimates were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "OVERLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hroku), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.