OYSTERCREEK, TEXAS. Oystercreek (Oyster Creek Station, Oyster Creek) was a station on the Columbia Tap Railroad two miles south of Anchor in northeast Brazoria County. A post office was established as Oyster Creek in 1852, was discontinued in 1854, and reopened in 1871; it was renamed Oystercreek in 1894 and operated until 1899. In 1884 Oyster Creek shipped cotton and had a post office, a general store, several cotton gins, three steam sugar mills, and a population of 150. Thirty residents remained in 1890, and in 1896 the local school had nine pupils and one teacher. By 1914, however, the town no longer appeared in state gazetteers, and population estimates were unavailable.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "OYSTERCREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrobh), accessed May 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.