OHIO COLONY, TX
OHIO COLONY, TEXAS. Ohio Colony, along with its cousins Illinois Colony and Iowa Colony, was a neighborhood settlement in extreme western Matagorda County located just northwest of Palacios, which provided it with most services except for church and school. Settled during the railroad-boosted wave of immigration to the county during the early 1900s, it was named after the home state of its inhabitants. By at least 1916 Ohio Colony had a school, which in 1924 served seven grades and was part of common school district No. 21. The school also hosted church services and community gatherings. Sometime during the early 1920s a school building from Ohio Colony reportedly was moved to a community called Pheasant, where it continued to serve as a school and church. County highway maps for the 1930s show a number of widely scattered farm units in the area northwest of Palacios where Ohio Colony stood. With the coming of improved transportation and school consolidation these communities gradually disappeared; they are not shown on 1952 topographical maps.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "OHIO COLONY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hro37), accessed April 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.