ODDS, TEXAS. Odds, on Farm Road 147 north of Steele's Creek seven miles west of Kosse in southern Limestone County, was settled about 1854 when David Barron located in the area. The site was named Buffalo Mott, but the citizens changed it to Odds in 1899 because of a post office request. It is speculated that they chose the name Odds from Odds, Kentucky. Odds had one store in operation in 1900, but the post office was discontinued in 1906. In 1946 Odds reported a population of sixty, one business, a school, and two churches, the Cumberland Presbyterian church and the Locust Grove church. Before Odds became a part of the Groesbeck Independent School District in 1965 it belonged to the Little Brazos School District. At some point the Baptist and Methodist congregations of Odds operated a union church, where each group's preacher would preach on alternate Sundays. In 1967 Odds reported a population of twenty and no businesses. By 1990 Odds was a ghost town. The area is on a mail route from Thornton. In 2000 the population was twenty-four.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Holly Marshall, "ODDS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hro11), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.