NEED, TEXAS. Need, twenty-one miles northwest of Paris in northwestern Lamar County, was probably settled after the Civil War. A post office operated there from 1888 to 1898. At its height during the mid-1890s Need had a saw and grist mill and gin, a grocer, and a number of houses; in 1890 it reported a population of twenty-five. By the 1930s, however, the community was no longer shown on highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "NEED, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrnyv), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.