NEW HOPE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
NEW HOPE, TEXAS (Smith County). New Hope was a church community two miles north of Troup and just east of Farm Road 346 in southern Smith County. By 1903 the area had a one-teacher white school with twenty-seven students and a three-teacher black school with 129 students. A 1936 map showed the community as a school and a few scattered farms along mostly dirt roads. By 1952 the New Hope School had been consolidated into the Arp Independent School District. A 1973 map shows New Hope as a church, a cemetery, and a sparse assortment of dwellings; by that time a local road had been paved, but most were still dirt. The community was not shown on the 1981 county highway map. In 2000 the population was seventy-five.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "NEW HOPE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn42), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.