NEW ZION, TX
NEW ZION, TEXAS. New Zion is a rural community at the intersection of Farm roads 2208 and 3001, seven miles southwest of Jefferson in southwestern Marion County. In 1938 the community had a four-room schoolhouse, which accommodated 106 black elementary students, seven black high school students, and four teachers. The school was consolidated with those of Jackson by 1955, and in 1962 New Zion consisted of a church, a cemetery, and several scattered dwellings. In 1983 the community had a church, a cemetery, and two businesses.
Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "NEW ZION, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn33), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.