NEW MOUNTAIN, TEXAS. New Mountain, a farming community on State Highway 155 ten miles northeast of Gilmer in northeastern Upshur County, was probably established sometime after 1900. By the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Gilmer school district, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a few scattered houses remained. The estimated population in 1966 was fifty. No further population estimates were available until 2000 when the population was listed as twenty.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.