NEW HARP, TX
NEW HARP, TEXAS. New Harp is off Farm Road 1655 sixteen miles southeast of Montague in extreme southeastern Montague County. It was named for Nixon P. Harp, who established a general merchandise store in the area in 1879. The community was known as Harp Town until about 1900 and thereafter was called Harp. A post office operated there from 1894 to 1905. The town reached its largest reported population, sixty-seven, between the mid-1930s and mid-1950s. In the mid-1960s, when the community last reported a population figure, thirty persons lived there. In 2000 the population was eight.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "NEW HARP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn13), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.