MITCHELL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
MITCHELL, TEXAS (Panola County). Mitchell was four miles north of Carthage just west of U.S. Highway 59 in northern Panola County. It was first settled prior to the Civil War. A private subscription school probably began operating in the antebellum period. In 1878 John W. Biggs donated land for a new school. Around 1883 the school was moved to a new site one-half mile to the south, donated by Joseph Mitchell, after whom the school and community were named. In 1907 the school became part of the county school system. In the mid-1930s the Mitchell community had the school and a number of houses; a church and cemetery were located nearby. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with Carthage school. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses still remained in the area.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MITCHELL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmrf), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles