MOUNT STERLING, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
MOUNT STERLING, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Mount Sterling, a farming community off Farm Road 1537 six miles northeast of Sulphur Springs in east central Hopkins County, was settled sometime before 1900 and named for the Sterling family. In 1905 the public school had two teachers and an enrollment of sixty-eight. During the mid-1930s Mount Sterling had a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of the residents moved away. The school was consolidated with the Sulphur Springs school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained of the community was a church and a cemetery. In the late 1980s Mount Sterling was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MOUNT STERLING, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmnf), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.