MILLS, TEXAS. Mills was between State Highway 179 and Farm Road 1451 three miles south of Teague in west central Freestone County. The settlement was granted a post office in 1880 with Thomas G. Blackmon as postmaster. In 1884 Mills had two gristmills, two cotton gins, two churches, fourteen businesses, a school, and a population of 100. In 1903 the school had an enrollment of thirty-five. The community prospered until the early 1900s, when it was apparently destroyed by a cyclone. The post office was closed in 1906, and mail was sent to Luna.
Freestone County Post Offices (Wortham?, Texas: Freestone County Historical Commission, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "MILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HRMAC), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.