MYRTLE SPRINGS, TX (ANDERSON COUNTY)
MYRTLE SPRINGS, TEXAS (Anderson County). Myrtle Springs is a rural community by a tributary of Box Creek at the intersection of Farm Road 322 and a country road, twelve miles southwest of Palestine in southwestern Anderson County. The community was named for nearby Myrtle Spring. In 1898 the Myrtle Springs school had one teacher and served some 43 white pupils, and in 1932 the Myrtle Springs school district served 117 white pupils and 83 black pupils. By 1955 the school had consolidated with Elkhart, and in 2000 Myrtle Springs was a small crossroads community with a church, a cemetery, a community hall, and several homes.
Thomas Paul Jones, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Anderson County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "MYRTLE SPRINGS, TX (ANDERSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm88), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.