MARS COMMUNITY, TX
MARS COMMUNITY, TEXAS. Mars Community, just off Farm roads 773 and 2339 fifteen miles southeast of Canton in extreme southeast Van Zandt County, was once a retail trading center that produced cotton, vegetables, fruit, and nursery stock. According to various sources, the community, which was originally part of Henderson County, was settled by a group that included the eponymous brothers John and Henry Marrs. A post office, established in 1898, was discontinued in 1907, when mail was diverted to Murchison. The population dwindled from over 100 in 1915 to ten by 1931, increased to eighty-three by 1933, and was last recorded at fifty in 1945. State highway maps of 1936 showed a church, a seasonal industry, and scattered dwellings in the community, but by 1987 only a church remained to mark the townsite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "MARS COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm15), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.