MAPLETON, TEXAS. Mapleton, on State Highway 21 eighteen miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County, was established around 1924 by T. J. Maples and his family. The community was originally named Stumpville after the large number of tree stumps that remained after the Maples family cleared the land. In the mid-1930s Stumpville had a church, several stores, and a large number of houses. In 1950 the Maples erected a sign naming the community Mapleton. In the early 1990s Mapleton was a dispersed rural community with several stores. The population was listed as thirty-two in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MAPLETON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HRM11), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.