LIBERTY CHAPEL, TX
LIBERTY CHAPEL, TEXAS. Liberty Chapel was a rural community three miles northeast of Carthage on U.S. Highway 79 in central Panola County. It was established after the Civil War and was originally known as Frogpond. The community's name was changed to Liberty Chapel after a local church. A school, known as Liberty, was in operation by the 1890s, and in 1897 it had an enrollment of thirty. In the mid-1930s Liberty Chapel had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with that of Carthage, and in the mid-1960s only a few scattered houses still remained in the area.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LIBERTY CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlmq), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles