LINDENDALE, TEXAS. Lindendale is twenty-four miles northeast of Boerne on Farm Road 1888 in northeastern Kendall County. It was named for the linden trees that grew along the Blanco River. Settlement of the area began in the 1860s, when the Gates family arrived and established an apple orchard. J. C. Hoge donated five acres with a log cabin for the Mount Glen school, which was later renamed Lindendale. The school had one teacher and twenty-seven students in 1905; it served the Lindendale area until the district was consolidated with the Blanco schools in 1951. A community center marked Lindendale on county highway maps in the 1980s, but no population estimates were available.
Kendall County Historical Commission, A History of Kendall County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1984). Garland A. Perry, Historic Images of Boerne, Texas (Boerne: Perry Enterprises, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "LINDENDALE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlmc), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles