LONE STAR, TX (DELTA COUNTY)
LONE STAR, TEXAS (Delta County). Lone Star, also known as Barton and Volney, was on the old Bonham and Jefferson road a mile east of Jot 'Em Down in western Delta County. The area was settled by 1878, when the Lone Star school was established. In 1886 a post office opened as Volney, with Ellen S. Billingsley as postmistress; service was discontinued in 1888. The railroad failed to pass through Lone Star, and the settlement declined as larger rail towns, such as nearby Pecan Gap, prospered. By 1936 Lone Star was no longer identified on maps, though at the site were a school, a church, and one business. The school was consolidated with the Pecan Gap system in 1949, and in 1964 only a few scattered farms remained in the area.
Paul Garland Hervey, A History of Education in Delta County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1951). Wilma Ross and Billie Phillips, Photos and Tales of Delta County (1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "LONE STAR, TX (DELTA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlaq), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.