LITTLE HOPE-MOORE COMMUNITY, TX
LITTLE HOPE-MOORE COMMUNITY, TEXAS. Little Hope-Moore Community, a mile from State Highway 64 and four miles southeast of Canton in south central Van Zandt County, was the site of the Little Hope Baptist Church for sixty years after its founding in 1893. The Methodists who established the Moore Church on land donated by the Moore family got along well with their neighbors, and it was decided to rename the combined community for both groups. The Moore school, opened by 1890, reached an enrollment of seventy-nine in 1906 and was consolidated with the Martins Mill Independent School District in the 1950s. The 1936 county highway map showed a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings at Little Hope and two businesses and scattered dwellings at Moore. In 1965 the church and cemetery remained at Little Hope and a church remained at Moore. By 1981 the Little Hope-Moore Community Center on State Highway 64 existed midway between the Moore Church and cemetery and the Little Hope community, and numerous dwellings were scattered along the road.
Dallas News, September 2, 1960. Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LITTLE HOPE-MOORE COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlan), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 26, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles