LONE STAR, TX (WOOD COUNTY)
LONE STAR, TEXAS (Wood County). Lone Star was a rural school community four miles east of Quitman in central Wood County near what later became Farm Road 2088. The community, which apparently never had a post office, was settled by the early 1860s, and in 1884 the Lone Star school district was established. In 1896 the district's two teachers taught eighty-five white students; by 1905 the number of students had fallen to seventy-three. In 1932 the Lone Star school district reported forty-two white students in eight grades. By the 1940s the school had disappeared, and only a few dwellings remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "LONE STAR, TX (WOOD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlac), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.