LEWISVILLE, TX (WALLER COUNTY)
LEWISVILLE, TEXAS (Waller County). Lewisville (Louisville) is a mile west of State Highway 159 and three miles southwest of Hempstead in western Waller County. A school for black children existed there as early as 1892; by 1896 170 students attended classes in a two-room schoolhouse. Ten years later the Lewisville school had seven teachers and 326 students. The enrollment declined to thirty by 1935; the school became a part of the Hempstead Independent School District during the 1930s and closed sometime thereafter. In 1990 a church and a few scattered dwellings remained at Lewisville.
James Henry Goettee, Administrative Survey of the Public Schools of Waller County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "LEWISVILLE, TX (WALLER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl89), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.