LIVE OAK, TX (FALLS COUNTY)
LIVE OAK, TEXAS (Falls County). Live Oak was between Lott and Westphalia in Falls County. Two Hodges brothers, Elias Richard and George Aylett, arrived in the area before the Civil War and eventually donated land for a church and cemetery. The first church service was held under a grove of seven oak trees and preached by Horace B. Carroll. At some point the community had a school, a church, and a cemetery. In 1885 a church was built; in 1952 it was moved to Lott. A schoolhouse was built in 1890. It was later consolidated with the Rupee school. The 1936 county highway map indicates scattered rural residences and a cemetery at the townsite. By 1990 only the cemetery remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mazie Hodges Love, "LIVE OAK, TX (FALLS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl74), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.