LAGUNA, TEXAS. Laguna, formerly known as Good Luck and Norwood, was at the intersection of Farm Road 334 and State Highway 55, a mile west of the Nueces River and sixteen miles northwest of Uvalde in west central Uvalde County. The name Good Luck, as the community was originally called, was changed to Norwood when a post office was established there in 1879 at the home of a Captain Follette, who was the first postmaster. In 1882 Rymond and Gregor Haby were among several families to move to the Norwood community. In 1884 the community of eighty produced wool, hides, and livestock for shipment and received semiweekly stagecoaches from Uvalde to Rocksprings and other points north. Norwood was the point where the road from Brackettville met the Uvalde-Rocksprings Road.
A general store at the J. A. Sharpless home was also the site for entertainment, dances, elections, and Sunday school. In 1890 the stages from Uvalde were arriving three times a week, and the post office was moved to the home of newly appointed postmaster Pete Dugat, who changed the name to Laguna after a lagoon near his home. Although Episcopal church services were available in Laguna, many of its citizens traveled nine miles north to the church in Montell. In 1890 local ranchers produced beef, wool, and honey. By 1892 Laguna had a population of 200 and a gristmill, cotton gin, and pecan dealership. In 1896 the post office was moved to the Sharpless home. Twenty-one students attended two schools in Laguna in 1904; by 1907 there were fifty-one students. By 1914 Angora goats had been added to the livestock raised by community ranchers.
The population of Laguna had dropped to about ten by the mid-1920s. During the mid-1930s a plan was proposed to dam the Nueces River near Laguna, making a surface reservoir with the capacity to irrigate 11,000 acres; the plan was never completed. In 1943 the post office at Laguna was discontinued; by 1946 the community included an estimated twenty residents, a school, and a business. During the mid-1940s the Laguna School was consolidated with the Uvalde school district. In 1965, the last year population statistics were reported for the community, five people made Laguna their home. Though there is evidence that two residents remained in Laguna in 1975, the community was abandoned by 1988. In 2000 the population was twenty.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Ruben E. Ochoa, "Laguna, TX," accessed July 28, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl06.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.