KIRK, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
KIRK, TEXAS (Limestone County). Kirk, seven miles east of Mart in western Limestone County, was settled by German farmers in the 1870s. A post office was established there in 1890, when the community had four stores and a cotton gin. The post office was discontinued in 1914, and Mart served as the post office for Kirk. In 1897 the community had a one-teacher school for 122 students; it was incorporated into the Mart Independent School District in 1968. In 1900 the population was 172, but by 1933 it was only thirty. That year the community had five businesses. During most of the 1940s the population was 150, but it dropped again to forty in 1950, when only one business was in operation. In 1948 Kirk had two businesses, two churches, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. There was no population recorded in the 1994–95 Texas Almanac, although Kirk was listed. In 2000 the population was ten.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie A. Panus, "KIRK, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrk13), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.