KIAM, TEXAS. Kiam is on U.S. Highway 190 sixty-five miles northwest of Beaumont in extreme eastern Polk County. The small rural community was settled about 1850 and named by the early pioneer Joseph Young for Edward Kiam of Houston. A post office was established at Kiam in 1901 and was discontinued in 1927, when mail was routed to Ollie.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978). History of Polk County (2 vols., Livingston, Texas: Keen Printing, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "KIAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrk10), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.