JOHNSTONVILLE, TEXAS. Johnstonville was a post office community near the site of present Soules Chapel ten miles northwest of Gilmer in northwestern Upshur County. The community was established after the Civil War. A post office operated there from 1871 to 1880. In the early 1880s the small settlement had a general store, a cotton gin and mill, and a number of houses. By 1885 it was no longer shown on maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "JOHNSTONVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrjkd), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.