JONES COLONY, TX
JONES COLONY, TEXAS. Jones Colony, on Farm Road 180 a half mile north of Highway 290 in southeastern Lee County, was a freedman settlement founded sometime between the end of the Civil War and 1875 by the brothers Abram, Alexander, George, and Philip Jones. Farming and ranching were the principal occupations of its residents. In 1908 the county superintendent of schools apportioned funds for twenty-four students at the Jones Colony School. The community's students later transferred to the school at nearby Globe Hill. Jones Colony is believed to have reached a peak population of between fifty and sixty residents in 1910. The community had Baptist and Methodist churches, but only the Baptist church still met in the 1980s. In the late 1980s the population in Jones Colony was reported as ten. By 2000 Jones Colony Church and Jones Colony Cemetery still marked the site of the rural community, but no population figures were available.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nolan Thompson and Lou Ella Cheeks, "JONES COLONY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj20), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.