JONES CREEK, TX (WHARTON COUNTY)
JONES CREEK, TEXAS (Wharton County). Jones Creek, a dispersed rural community, is at a site on Jones Creek and Farm Road 2546, northwest of Lakeview oilfield and east of State Highway 71 in northwestern Wharton County. The community is served by a mail route from El Campo. In 1905 the Jones Creek school enrolled forty-nine pupils and had one teacher; by 1926 there were two Jones Creek schools, one for ninety-three white and one for thirty-five black pupils. The 1927 Wharton County Poll Tax roll listed sixty-one white registrants, seven of whom were women, and four colored registrants, one of whom was a woman. By the 1980s many Jones Creek residents had moved away, and only a few buildings and scattered dwellings remained at the townsite.
J. O. Graham, The Book of Wharton County, Texas (Wharton?: Philip Rich, 1926).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "JONES CREEK, TX (WHARTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj11), accessed May 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.