ISLAND, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
ISLAND, TEXAS (Limestone County). Island, also called Cedar Island, was five miles west of Mexia in northern Limestone County. It was named for an isolated clump of cedar trees in the area. A post office was established for the community in 1894 with James Bennett as postmaster. In 1896 the community had a school, a grocery, a gin and mill, a Methodist church, and 300 residents. The Cedar Island school had fifty-two students in 1896. The community began to decline after Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway bypassed it by several miles in 1903. The post office was discontinued in 1905, and mail for the remaining residents was sent to Mexia.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "ISLAND, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hridw), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.