HICKEY, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
HICKEY, TEXAS (Panola County). Hickey, seventeen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was established in the early 1890s. A post office opened there in 1895 with Jacup Y. Hickey, after whom the community was named, as postmaster. By 1900 the settlement had a general store, a gristmill, and a cotton gin. The Hickey post office closed in 1906, and the mail was sent to Clayton. After 1910 Hickey was no longer shown on maps.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HICKEY, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhvc), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.