HOLCOMBS STORE, TX
HOLCOMBS STORE, TEXAS. Holcombs Store, also known as Holcomb's Mill and Holcomb's, is near Box Creek at the junction of Farm roads 23 and 1857, nine miles southwest of Rusk in western Cherokee County. It was named for Joe Holcomb, who settled with his family in the area in 1844. Holcomb evidently built a mill, for the community was known for a time as Holcomb's Mill. A school opened there before 1900 and in 1906 had an enrollment of twenty-five. In the mid-1930s the community had a sawmill, a store, a church, and a number of houses; the Beulah school was located nearby. In the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HOLCOMBS STORE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhsj), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.