HARRIS CHAPEL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
HARRIS CHAPEL, TEXAS (Panola County). Harris Chapel is on Farm Road 959 twelve miles northwest of Carthage in northwestern Panola County. The area was settled before the Civil War. The town grew up around a Baptist church established in the 1870s. A post office named Mahon operated in the community from 1888 until 1892. By the early 1890s the town had Baptist and Methodist churches, two combination gristmills and cotton gins, and a general store. In the mid-1930s Harris Chapel had a number of houses and a store, a church, and a cemetery. It had two churches, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses during the mid-1960s. In the early 1990s Harris Chapel was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 180. In 2000 the population remained the same.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HARRIS CHAPEL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrheq), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.