HARRIS CREEK, TX
HARRIS CREEK, TEXAS. Harris Creek was on Harris Creek Road just north of Wiggins Creek, a mile south of Winona, and east of Farm Road 2015 in north central Smith County. Its site was part of the Wilford Oliphant survey. The area was situated on the Belzora-Tyler road, an early trade route. By the early 1840s a school and church had been established in the vicinity. Later in that decade the Harris Creek school served as the voting place for Precinct Four, and local resident Bartlett S. Waters acted as presiding officer. The community's cemetery had been founded by 1858. The 1936 county highway map did not identify the community, and the Harris Creek school by around that time had been consolidated with the Winona Independent School District. During the early 1970s Harris Creek still had the church and cemetery. The community was not shown on the 1981 county highway map.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Howard O. Pollan, "Smith County's Formative Years, 1846–48," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1968. James Wilkins, "No Braver or Better Man," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1968.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "HARRIS CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh87), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.