HOLIK, TEXAS. Holik developed around a post office west of what is now Farm Road 359, five miles southeast of Sunny Side, and five miles northwest of Brookshire in southern Waller County. From 1901 to 1906 John B. Holik, the son of a Czechqv immigrant, served local farmers with a post office and gristmill at his homesite. Children from the Holik community attended the Aurora School, and a blacksmith shop was also in the area. The beginning of rural free mail delivery in the area reduced the need for a local post office, and the community declined sharply after its post office closed in 1906. The 1983 county highway map does not show Holik.
Mildred W. Abshier, et al., Former Post Offices of Waller County (Hempstead, Texas: Waller County Historical Society, 1977). Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "HOLIK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh78), accessed July 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.