HILBURN, TX (ATASCOSA COUNTY)
HILBURN, TEXAS (Atascosa County). Hilburn was just west of State Highway 16 and six miles south of Poteet in central Atascosa County. The community was named for Richardson Hilburn, a prominent local citizen who served on the county's first grand jury. In 1904 the Hilburn school had sixty-nine students and two teachers. It was consolidated with the Jourdanton schools in the mid-1920s. In 1936 Hilburn had a number of scattered dwellings. By the late 1980s only a cemetery remained at the site.
Atascosa County Centennial, 1856–1956 (Jourdanton, Texas: Atascosa County Centennial Association, n.d). Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Janie Foster, History of Education in Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "HILBURN, TX (ATASCOSA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh73), accessed July 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.