HOPEWELL, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)
HOPEWELL, TEXAS (Williamson County). Hopewell is on Jimms Branch a mile south of Farm Road 1869 and 5½ miles west of Liberty Hill in southwestern Williamson County. The site, settled in the early 1850s, was also called Burleson Springs. A cemetery existed there by the mid-1850s, and church services for the local farmers were held in an adjacent field in 1855. The settlement was harassed by Comanches during the early decades of its existence; one of the last and most notorious incidents was the massacre of the Wofford Johnson family near Hopewell in 1863. As the Indian threat receded, the town flourished. A Masonic lodge was organized there in 1863, and Hopewell had a Presbyterian church by 1869, a school by 1878, a post office from 1876 to 1882, and, in the 1880s, a saloon and a general store. In 1900 Hopewell's black school was the largest in the county, with two teachers and 140 pupils; its white school had one teacher and thirty-nine pupils. The community declined in the twentieth century, and its school was consolidated with the Liberty Hill school in 1945. By 1977 there was nothing left of Hopewell but a cemetery.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "HOPEWELL, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh55), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.