HEGAR, TEXAS. Hegar, also known as Springer, is six miles northeast of Waller in eastern Waller County 1½ miles west of the Montgomery and Harris county lines. Hegar existed by at least 1887, when Oscar George Hegar settled on land there that his father, German immigrant Otto Hegar, had purchased as early as 1847. A post office, managed by Oscar Hegar in his general store, opened at the community in 1899. Most of the local residents apparently farmed or raised livestock. Sometime before 1891 area citizens built north of Hegar a school, which they named in honor of Enoch McPherson, the first teacher in the community. The McPherson school served children from other communities as well as Hegar; after a series of school consolidations, local students attended classes within the Waller Independent School District. Many of Hegar's inhabitants went to services at the nearby Macedonia Methodist Church, which started in 1892; the church has a state historical marker. The Hegar post office closed in 1925. During the 1920s and 1930s the community reported a population of twenty. The site where the store and post office stood served as a weekend camp in 1977, and a few homes were still in the area in the 1980s.
Mildred W. Abshier, et al., Former Post Offices of Waller County (Hempstead, Texas: Waller County Historical Society, 1977). Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "HEGAR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh25), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.