GRANJEÑO, TEXAS. Granjeño is off the junction of Farm Road 494 and the Old Military Telegraph Road four miles southwest of McAllen in southern Hidalgo County. Granjeño Cemetery was established in 1872 and has burials from both sides of the Rio Grande. In 1936 Granjeño had several dwellings. By 1948 it also had a church and a school. During the 1960s growth in Granjeño was stimulated by the development of a colonia. By 1976 it had 100 dwellings and an estimated population of 545. In 1983 Granjeño proper was centered around a church and several dwellings. The colonia's population had decreased to 450 by 1986. In 2000 the population was 313. See also COLONIAS.
Colonias in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas: A Summary Report (Policy Research Project Report No. 18, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "GRANJENO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrgvh), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.