GRANITE MOUNTAIN, TX
GRANITE MOUNTAIN, TEXAS. Granite Mountain was on the Austin and Northwestern Railroad and Farm Road 1431 three miles west of Marble Falls in southwestern Burnet County. It grew as a result of the quarries at nearby Granite Mountain. A post office called Granite was established there in 1886 with Nimrod Norton as postmaster. The post office name was changed to Granite Mountain in 1890. The Granite Mountain and Marble Falls City Railroad was chartered in October 1889 and constructed by the Austin and Northwestern Railroad Company; the new track provided easier access to the quarries by the following year. In the early 1890s Granite Mountain had a population of sixty; among the companies working in the community were the Texas Capital Granite Company, the Texas and New York Granite Company, and the Galveston Construction Company. The Granite Mountain post office was discontinued in 1911, and mail for the community was sent to Marble Falls. The number of residents was reported at twenty-five in 1933, at seventy-five in 1943, and at thirty in 1945; no population estimates were available after the 1940s.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "GRANITE MOUNTAIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg71), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.