GILLELAND CREEK, TX
GILLELAND CREEK, TEXAS. Gilleland Creek was a community near Farm Road 969 twelve miles east of Austin in eastern Travis County. It was named for its location on Gilleland Creek, which in turn had been named for the James Gilleland family, early landowners in the area. A post office, with Stephen Boyce as the first postmaster, opened at Gilleland Creek in 1849 but was discontinued during the Civil War and not reopened. Residents still in the area in the 1880s probably became part of the Garfield community.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "GILLELAND CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg64), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.