GETHSEMANE COMMUNITY, TX
GETHSEMANE COMMUNITY, TEXAS. Gethsemane Community is on State Highway 49 fifteen miles northeast of Jefferson in northeastern Marion County. The Gethsemane school had fifty-three pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 183 elementary students, twenty-seven high school students, and five teachers. The school was consolidated with the Lassater school by 1955. In 1962 Gethsemane Community had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1980s there were four business establishments, a recreational facility, and two churches in the predominantly black community.
Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "GETHSEMANE COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg53), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.