GUS, TEXAS. Gus is a farming community on the east bank of Yegua Creek near Farm Road 696 some ten miles southwest of Caldwell in far western Burleson County. Settlement in the area began in the late 1830s. The community appears to have formed near the St. John Baptist Church, built in 1877 on the redland prairie in the Yegua creek bottom just north of the Old San Antonio Road. Gus had a post office from 1900 to 1917. From 1933 to 1947, the last year for which statistics were available, the community reported one business and a population of seventy-five. The St. John Baptist Church and the Mount Zion Church were within the township in the mid-1980s.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
Charles Christopher Jackson
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.