GOLLY, TEXAS. Golly is twelve miles south of Cuero and four miles east of Meyersville in southern DeWitt County. A school, which provided the focus for the surrounding rural community, was established there in 1884 on land donated by Theresa Hubersberger and was named for Anton Golly, one of the trustees. The school was closed in 1946. The 1984 county highway map designates the area as the Golly Community and shows a community hall at the site. In 2000 the population was forty-one.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "GOLLY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg21), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.